By Joseph Momoh
D.S. Reporter
FREETOWN – The Sierra Leone Police have prohibited a planned peaceful protest and procession by the Citizens Advocacy Network, scheduled for August 26, 2026.
In a letter dated August 20 and addressed to CAN Executive Director Thomas Moore, the Police said the Commissioner of Police had “hereby disallowed” the demonstration.
The decision followed CAN’s failure to attend an “ethical interview” with the Inspector General of Police fixed for August 19. CAN had earlier, on August 17, written to the Police notifying them of the protest under Section 17(1) of the Public Order Act No. 46 of 1965.
However, the SLP invoked Section 17(2) of the same Act, which empowers the Commissioner to prohibit a procession or impose conditions where such action is deemed necessary in the interest of defence, public safety, public order or public morality. The Police said the matter had been brought to the attention of the IGP.
The letter further referenced Section 17(3) of the Act, which makes it an offence for any person to participate in a procession that has been disallowed by the Commissioner, or to fail to comply with conditions attached to any permitted procession.
Despite the ban, the Police maintained that they remain committed to facilitating citizens’ right to peaceful expression within the confines of the law.
“The Sierra Leone Police will continue to balance the constitutional right to peaceful assembly with its mandate to protect public safety, maintain public order and safeguard the rights of all persons,” the statement read.
CAN is yet to issue an official response to the police directive.
For more information contact Daily Scope Newspaper at dailyscopemedia@gmail.com

