By Kadijatu Bangura
D.S. Reporter
KOIDU – Kono District is grappling with a growing measles outbreak that has left 55 patients receiving treatment, with health officials warning that a shortage of beds and funding is threatening containment efforts.
District Medical Officer Dr Mohamed Sheku confirmed the outbreak during a partners’ meeting at the District Health Management Team Hall in Koidu City. He said Kono met the outbreak threshold after three confirmed cases were recorded within one month.
According to Dr Sheku, 85 suspected cases have been recorded so far. Five samples sent to Freetown for testing returned three positives, while four additional suspected cases are awaiting results.
Koidu Municipality has recorded the highest number of confirmed cases, followed by Kamara and Sandor Chiefdoms. Of the cases, 49 are male and 37 are female, with children under five bearing the brunt of the illness. Symptoms include fever and widespread skin rashes.
The outbreak has exposed critical gaps in the district’s health system. The isolation unit has only 13 beds for measles patients, while inadequate funding and a lack of accommodation for health workers are hampering the response.
“Measles can cause serious complications including blindness, malnutrition and death, especially in vulnerable children,” Dr Sheku warned.
Despite the constraints, the DHMT has deployed a Rapid Response Team, stepped up active case searches and strengthened case management. The response is being carried out under the ongoing 300 Days of Activism campaign aimed at zero preventable maternal and child deaths, and zero-dose children.
Dr Sheku also highlighted gains in maternal and child health this year, crediting stakeholder collaboration for a drop in deaths. Recent investments in Kono include a Special Care Baby Unit and a new ambulance, though staffing challenges persist due to housing shortages for midwives.
The Kono outbreak is part of a wider national emergency. On May 13, the National Public Health Agency and Ministry of Health declared a measles outbreak nationwide after 41 confirmed cases in eight districts, with a 75% laboratory positivity rate. By May 19, confirmed cases had risen to 49.
Dr Sheku urged parents to vaccinate their children and seek medical care immediately if symptoms appear. “Measles is highly infectious and airborne. Treat suspected cases with the same caution as confirmed cases,” he said.
For more information contact Daily Scope Newspaper at dailyscopemedia@gmail.com

